The Newport Beach Police Department is located at 870 Santa Barbara Drive on the Northeast corner of Santa Barbara Drive and Jamboree Road at the entrance to Fashion Island. For routine information or assistance, call 644-3717.
The Department employs over 230 full time and 50 part time personnel who provide the highest level of public safety and emergency assistance to the community. The Department is comprised of sworn police officers and civilian police employees. The Department is comprised of the Patrol, Traffic, Support Services, and Detective Divisions. We are a very community oriented police department and employ a Problem Oriented Policing philosophy. Our employees are trained to assess and solve problems within the community on an ongoing basis.
The Patrol and Traffic Division are comprised of uniformed officers who ensure public safety by responding to Calls for Service, patrolling the community, and assist in solving community problems. In addition, they keep the streets safe for motorists, bicyclists and pedestrians and investigate traffic collisions.
- Parking Control Officers handle all parking related issues such as illegally parked vehicles and vehicle impounds.
- Custody Officers are responsible for the operation of our City Jail Facility
- Animal Control Officers deal with injured, deceased, stray, and wild animals.
- Detective Division is divided into several sections including Crimes Against Persons, Economic Crime, Burglary, Auto Theft, Juvenile, Narcotics, and Vice and Intelligence. Detectives are responsible for follow-up investigations arising from reports taken by our Patrol Officers.
- Crime Scene Investigators who specialize in the collection and examination of physical evidence such as fingerprints, photographs and bloodstains.
- Support Services Division oversees the Communications and Records Sections, as well as Personnel, Training, Fiscal Services, Fleet Maintenance and Computer Services for the Department.
In addition to the more traditional positions we have several specialized units and programs that provide valuable services to the community. The Community Relations Staff includes our Environment Services Unit, our DARE Program in the schools, and a proactive Crime Prevention Unit. Our Citizenâ??s Police Academy and Volunteer's In Policing program are also coordinated through this office. Within the Office of the Chief of Police, we have our Professional Standards Unit, which investigates claims of police misconduct. Our Department also participates in programs involving other Law Enforcement agencies such as the "ABLE" program, which stands for Air Borne Law Enforcement and is a joint helicopter program involving the cities of Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and Santa Ana. We also participate in a regional Narcotics Suppression Task Force as well as the Orange County Auto Theft Task Force.
For more information about the Newport Beach Police Department, please visit our web site at http://www.nbpd.org or call our Community Relations Office at 644-3662.